Friday, March 13, 2009

Review: Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

So, this is one of my all time favorite books. I read it a few years ago, after I saw the movie staring Kristen Stewart. The movie was just, amazing and the same can be said for the book. So here we go.


(Blurb)
Melinda Sordino busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Now her old friends won't talk to her, and people she doesn't even know hate her from a distance. The safest place to be is alone, inside her own head. But even that's not safe. Because there's something she's trying not to think about, something about the night of the party that, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth. This extraordinary first novel has captured the imaginations of teenagers and adults across the country.



(Review)
So if you haven't read the book, or seen the movie. Sorry, you should stop here, or keep reading whatever you wish. Now Melinda, this girl, that through the course of the book I really got to know, and feel for. Nerdy or completely sincere, you decide. But all joking aside, this girl, a girl that experienced one of the worst things that could ever happen to a woman. Rape. Is living with it day-to-day. But it is also about speaking up for yourself. For your own opinions and for what you believe in. And truthfully, I think this is the book that made me start speaking up for myself. This wasn't always a good thing for me in some aspects, cause when I stand up for what myself and my opinion. I get an attitude. Back to topic. The book is also written in a very different way, I'm not really sure what it is called at the moment but, it's not the normal paragraph/quotation type book. Also symbolism, I hate symbolism yet love this book. A book full of symbolism is one of my favorites. I know, I contradict myself but screw it. And if you have seen the cover, you know that trees might just be the symbolism in this book. I'm pretty sure everyone has read this book, but if you haven't, go and pick it up.
I have yet to get the ten year anniversary for Speak, but just you wait. Cause I will once I can get a good flow.



BIG ASS NOTE: Heathers is going to be a musical

3 comments:

  1. I HAVE to read this. The trouble is finding the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depending on where you live, it might be hard. Although I'm sure you could find it through a book website or third party somewhere. Any questions on it feel free to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most bookstores have it in the young adult section. It just has a different cover on it. If they don't have it in stock, I know many books stores will order it for you.

    ReplyDelete