Monday, May 25, 2009

A Secret Edge by Robin Reardon

(Blurb)
In many ways, Jason Peele is like any other teenager. He hits the books, hangs with his friends, flirts with girls, and omits the full truth of his life from his Aunt Audrey and Uncle Steve, who've raised him since his parents died. But there's one way that Jason is very different: when he dreams at night, it isn't about girls; it's about David Bowie. At sixteen years old, Jason is just beginning to understand that he might be gay.
The one place Jason feels comfortable is on the track where he can run fast and hard. He loves the feel of the wind at his back, of his legs propelling him foreward, the roar of the crowd in his ears. But now, even his sanctuary feels threatening. It isn't just the jerks who call him "faggot" in the locker room. A new guy has joined the team, and everything about him will challenge the way Jason sees life. From late-night showings of "La Cage Aux Folles" to reading Gandhi, he's running a new race on an uncertain course, and only one thing's for sure — his senior year is going to be unforgettable.




(Review)
This is the second Robin Reardon book that I have read. Thinking Straight being the first. And in comparison, this one didn't live up to my expectation. Jason is coming to terms with being gay, and falling in love. Not to mention the being on the track team, and dealing with homophobia. Enter Nagaraju Burugapalli (call him Raj) he is also on the track team, in the high jump Category. Jason starts to fall for Raj, but Raj hold a secret from Jason that could destory their relationship.


Now, I'm sure most have read the review about Thinking Straight, and saw how much I enjoyed it. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this one as well. It was a fast, intelligent read that got me thinking. But it seemed so unbelievable. Jason lives with his Aunt and Uncle, and he tells his Aunt Aud almost everything. I just don't see this happening. Jason come out very fast, not to many people. But still in a short time period, fist to his Aunt who he is so open with. I don't know...I just can't relate to that personally. As well to the point that there are three gay guys on the track team alone. I don't see that either. And finally, Jason is very open to his coach. It's not a weird thing, just unexpected. I think these points irked me so much is because I don't really live in that kind of environment.


Whatever, lets not let my own bitterness get in the way. All in all, nice heart-warming read of a boys first love. Of course the David Bowie thing is weird. But hey, I don't judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment